1

Plant-Based Diet: Find Out Which Celebs Are on this Diet

So is a plant-based diet something like a vegetarian or vegan diet? Let me tell you.

A Vegetarian diet may include dairy, eggs, and sometimes fish.

A Vegan diet strictly eliminates any animal by-products including eggs, dairy and even honey (since it comes from bees, an animal).

A Plant-based diet is rich in fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains, nuts, and seeds and limits meat, fish, dairy, eggs, cheese and perhaps other animal by-products. A plant based diet differs largely from a vegan and vegetarian diet in the sense that it promotes unprocessed foods. Yep, no tofurkey for you. Even Coke is considered a vegan product!

The benefits of a plant-based diet are bountiful. We’ve been told for most of our life “eat your fruits and veggies!” but really, what are the benefits?

  • You’re getting the bang for your buck! Fruits and vegetables provide vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. There are no other foods that can provide these 4 key nutrients all in one.
  • The color present in a fruit/vegetables provides a specific nutrient. The orange in carrots provides Vitamin A, the dark green in collard greens provides Vitamin K, and the purple in blueberries provides anthoycanins, a powerful antioxidant.
  • Only 5%of Americans get the recommended amount of fiber, a nutrient that is found in only plants food. Fiber not only helps in digestion and bowel regularity, it also promotes satiety, which helps you feel full and keeps you full for a long duration.
  • A diet rich in fruits & vegetables significantly reduces the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.

Check out some of the celebs below who have adopted a plant-based diet and what they have to say about their diet.

Tom Brady & Gisele Bundchen

"We don't eat nearly as much red meat as we used to; maybe once a month now. We mainly eat fruit, vegetables, grains, seeds, nuts, fish and organic chicken." - Gisele

So, 80 percent of what they eat is vegetables. [I buy] the freshest vegetables. And whole grains: brown rice, quinoa, millet, beans. The other 20 percent is lean meats: grass-fed organic steak, duck every now and then, and chicken. As for fish, I mostly cook wild salmon. - Allen Campbell, personal chef to Gisele & Tom

Christie Brinkley

[Pictured at 63 years old here!] “I've been a vegetarian since I was about 12 years old. When I became a vegetarian I got my mom and dad to become vegetarian, and my brother became a vegetarian…Lunch is a big huge salad with every color in it. From leafy greens to purple to herbs, fresh cut herbs mixed into it for flavors. I vary what I toss into it. Sometimes it might be lentils and chopped tomatoes, other days it could be garbanzo beans, some days I might have just a salad and have some lentil soup on the side. Generally it's the big salad. Maybe it's avocados chopped on top. Maybe it's a handful of nuts and seeds and whatever.”

Jenna Dewan-Tatum

"I swear by a green smoothie every morning with spinach, romaine, kale, apples, and banana. I’ve gotten Chan into those too… For dinner It's all about brown-rice bowls with black beans and roasted veggies—carrots, purple potatoes, butternut squash, asparagus, zucchini—dressed with tahini sauce or olive oil, salt, and pepper”

“Well, it started with my yoga practice and you know, the practice of non-harming, ‘ahisma', so I became a vegan because [of] compassion [for] the animals...The first thing I did was lose 20 pounds and I haven't put that back on.”-Russell Simmons, founder of Def Jam Recordings and Phat Farm clothing line.

Post A Comment